BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Time

Right now I am listening to The Firebird. It’s very nice.

Hey there Delilah, what’s it like in New York City? I love that song…*sniffle*

I believe I was taught a lesson about time yesterday. You see, I tend (just a little) to be a very impatient person. Everything has to be done NOW, and if it’s not, then the world will fall apart and we’ll all die away. Fortunately, my predictions are quite far off. Very. Extremely.

So, yesterday was Friday the first of February, or Groundhog’s Eve. I couldn’t believe Wake Tech didn’t give us a holiday, since Groundhog’s Eve is such an important holiday, especially in preparation for Groundhog’s Day. I was planning to take the morning off to decorate, but for some reason Professor Honeycutt (or “Super Honeycutt” as I like to call him [he doesn’t know that]) decided that it was necessary that Music 110 be held.

I woke up very achy, with muscle aches and stomach aches and a head ache, and was considering staying home. But I had to get up anyway, and by the time I was seriously considering skipping class, I had my bag in my hand and the car was running. Nonetheless I downed some superfood and some homeopathic remedy for whatever I had, and managed to survive.

I came back, did some math, attempted to take a nap, and finally gave up on that prospect and instead made and ate lunch. While doing the eating part of the lunch activity, I read the first chapter in Quest for Love by Elizabeth Elliot. Thursday I had just finished Passion and Purity, and this seemed like it was a follow-up sort of book, so I decided to read it next. The first chapter was about a guy who wanted to get married when he was 21, and began searching for a wife the, but didn’t end up marrying till he was 33 to a woman 12 years younger than he was. Basically, he said God’s time wasn’t his time, because he couldn’t have married whom God wanted him to marry when he wanted to marry-when he was 21, his wife was only 9!

After lunch, I had to go to TAC to get picked up to go to a swim meet in Winston-Salem. This is where I gradually learned my own lesson about time. We were short about 12 million swimmers. Well, not really that much. However, all in all we had a little over 20 swimmers, I think. Some were sick, others were busy, and others couldn’t get rides. Why? Why now? And some of these people I was really looking forward to spending time with on the way there and back, and I was quite bummed that that plan wasn’t going to be carried out how I wanted it. And why did I have to wake up all achy? The swim meet could have gone so much better, had everything gone the way I intended it to.

But I’m not the ruler of the universe, am I? No. I’ve tried. It hasn’t worked. As a matter-of-fact, every time I try to control ANYTHING, it usually all blows up into pieces. I guess I should stop.

But anyway, at the end of the day (as I sat at home at 12:30 am eating a brownie and watching House Hunters International on HGTV), God seemed to tie all of the wrong-ness of the day back around into the chapter in Quest for Love I had read earlier. God has his own timing for things. He has ordained other times when I can visit with my [other] friends, when the Seahawks can win a meet, and when I can swim my own personal best.

It’s not as if the whole trip was bad anyway. I had a great time visiting with Kara and Stacey, listening to Toran’s life story, eating purple corn chips, beginning my career as a forensic investigator by identifying hairs on the seat in the van, swimming butterfly, taking a warm shower, complaining about my frizzy hair, making Nathan buy me a Vault, making Nathan change his cellphone ring so it wasn’t the same as mine, freezing outside, cheering at the basketball games, going to Ci Ci’s and eating the chocolatey pizza, seasoning Nicholas’ cinnamon roll, wearing Nicholas’ hat, trying not to eat purple corn chips, trying to fall asleep in the van, and getting home only to find that I couldn’t sleep. God decided that the above mentioned events were what was going to happen yesterday. And for that, I am thankful.

~Jessica

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin