BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, September 4, 2008

People

JUST SO EVERYONE KNOWS - You may continue on the Bubba story. I just wanted to post a new post...

It seems so simple to say – people walk in and out of your life all the time. So why is it so strange sometimes? Why does it feel like there’s forever an empty space there now?

I begin to wonder if it has something to do with taking people for granted. I don’t think anyone just goes around all day saying “Oh my gosh, I cannot believe how great it is that I have these friends around me, my mom here, and my grandpa…life is sooooo good!” Not to say we don’t appreciate these people. But think about if, one day, you just said goodbye and the two of you – best friend, mom, grandpa, whoever – just go your separate ways and never speak to each other again. The parting is not curt, and not the result of a disagreement. Yet it is also not sentimental or thought about as being unwelcome. It’s a simple goodbye, have fun doing such-and-such, maybe we’ll run into each other sometime down the road of life and have lunch.

That just can’t HAPPEN, can it? Why would it? Yet it happens every day to everyone, just usually not with friends who are as close. It’s happened to me before over the years, but especially in this past year. It’s been very hard, because it’s not something I’m used to. It happens more with guys, too, than girls…and it’s not like I can just walk up to them and say, “wow, I’ve had a great time this semester sitting next to you in class. I’m going to miss you. Maybe we can still keep in contact, here’s my number!” I could say that to a girl and nobody would think of it at all, but I just cannot say that to a guy. I wouldn’t mean it as initiating and being forward, but it would come off as that.

Last summer there was a lifeguard at the pool. He was from New York and I was kind of afraid to talk to him (not because he was from New York). I’d talk to the other lifeguards, simply because I’ve known them all my life, but he was the new guy, and (of course) I was afraid that he would think I was initiating something. YES, maybe I assume too much about what other people assume, but don’t you think it’s better to stay on the safe side? One day near the end of the season I walked by his table where he was sitting and sort of guarding (we have very laid back lifeguards), and he was reading “The Pickwick Papers” by Charles Dickens. It turned out he loved Dickens…and I loved that he loved Dickens. Curiosity finally got the better of me on the third-to-last day of the pool, and somehow we talked a lot those last three days. I was fascinated with him. His personality was so…perfect. Everything I imagined, for the most part. But he was so different also. You know what I mean, I guess…he didn’t go about in the “lifestyle” most of us homeschoolers live. Just a typical worldly person in most respects, or something. Nonetheless, I still appreciated him very much. Then, on the last day, we just said goodbye, and I left.

It’s been a while, of course, but something is oddly empty. And it’s happened again. Sort of. Charlie’s gone off to college in Tennessee. He was another lifeguard. He was just always…there at the pool. He wasn’t like the lifeguard from last year, but just that person you partake in small talk with and always think of being there. Then his last day before leaving for school came, we said, “see ya later,” and it was all over. Nothing else.

I’ve concluded that it’s not going to happen to me again, if I can help it. Leaving swim team is really sad. I don’t think I will ever be able to completely let go. I love swimming, and swimming with these particular people. They’re the only people I’ve ever swam with. How could I ever get in the lane with anybody else? I couldn’t possibly do split-lanes and have strange conversations with anybody but Matt, Sean, Kara, Lizzie, Nathan, Noah, and Joel. Joking around with everyone at the meets and when we’re standing around waiting for coach to stop talking to random people around the deck are some of the highlights of my day, week, month, year, and life. The whole team is “my people” to me, if that makes any sense. It just breaks my heart not to be going back. I saw the sign-ups for swim team last week some time and said to myself, “Platinum team…two whole hours…” and imagined it all happening and me not being there. It will still go on. I will, too. Things will just be drastically different. I knew the moment would come eventually. I think, though, I was really in denial of it ever actually coming.

So here it is.

“So what happens now? Where am I going to?”
“Don’t ask anymore…”
~Evita

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same exact way. It's great to know that you're thinking the same thing. I've always been sad about not ever seeing people again, after you've known them for a while. It just doesn't seem right. It seems like everyone you've ever known and really enjoyed knowing, should just come and live with you in a giant mansion somewhere, where you could just enjoy life to the fullest. But I guess that's what Heaven will be like.

-------

And I can't believe you're done with swim team! I thought you were going to do another season...We need you for the meets...

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one as well...and you're right. That's another reason why the island colony is such a fun idea...we'd just live there in freedom with all the people we know and love.

Well, one consolation is that I believe I will do water polo on Wednesdays, and I also plan on doing summer swim team next year if nothing else comes up. And what are your plans?

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I have had the "lonely experience" in different ways, but I still know how it feels:(
Thankfully, God is good, and He pulls us through these times:)

~Elayna~

Anonymous said...

My plans right now? To formulate a plan. Really, that's the goal right now.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Elayna...quite insightful. Even if we lose all our other friends, God is still there for us. :D

Matt - Brilliant!! Glad to know we're in the same boat in that matter as well. Are you going to keep doing swim team in the mean time, or what? I went to the Masters practice this morning...*gasps for air*...man, they're intense...

Lizzie said...

*sniffle* That's such a sad post.... I hate that people just come and go....

My plans right now? To formulate a plan. Ah! I like it! I was feeling very uncomfortable since I threw away my college plans because I didn't have a plan to replace it. But that describes perfectly what I'm doing... trying to come up with a plan. Which is really more difficult than following through with the plan anyway.

Anonymous said...

I would have to agree. It's not fair...Allison has known exactly what she wanted to be and what she wanted out of life ever since she was...like...nine. And I've always been the indecisive, wishy-washy type. I keep thinking I know what I want to do, but then I'll change my mind. It's not that I don't know what to do...I just don't know which of the 10,000 things I want to do I actually should devote myself to entirely. But we've had this conversation before, Lizzie...needless to say, my concentration has never been "in whack."

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with your post. What makes me especially sad is when you make an effort to keep up with that person who is exiting your life, but they seem perfectly content dropping your acquaintance :'(

Allie said...

Well, Jess, it's gonna shock you when I tell you I'm considering transferring right now....

I must say, I do agree with you. I hate realizing that some people I'm never going to see again...I hate it. I've always hated change, so i definitely hate that.

Jessica said...

Abigail - I know! Ugh, it's so sad. But I think it makes you consider what friendship really is...that it takes two people to make a friendship and keep it up. If the other person doesn't seem interested, I guess I shouldn't waste my time wishing they were. But that's hard.

Allison - I know, you told me. Remember, I was shocked...or...well, my eyes got really big.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin