BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, September 12, 2008

The Ocean-Side Holiday, Part One

Yes, yes, yes...I am attempting to come up with a more creative title than Lizzie again. I'll just admit that right off so I don't get any accusations.

So we're here on Emerald Isle at the beach until Monday. Yesterday, we got on the road late as usual (so perhaps we could just call it "right on time" by now, since we've been doing this annually for the past six years). Our first stop was a thrift shop called "Second Fling", where we always end up stopping on the way here. Our grandparents and aunt were there as well (they come with us to the beach). It's a big store, and they always have the biggest selection of used purses I've ever seen. As we all know, money likes to just slip through my fingers, but at least I make quick decisions. I bought two purses, one for a dollar and one for four dollars. The one for four dollars is the cream-colored twin of my brown purse I've had for a couple years now...I was very excited to find it, but my dad declared in a very prissy fashion that I couldn't carry it till after Easter. :P The other one is casual, has no compartments, and barely fits everything. But I like it anyways. It's just one of those ADD things...I need to change purses often.

Next we stopped at McCall's and got the buffet lunch. I ate a lot, of course. We had a few memories of March 2007 when we took a special trip to the Atlantis, a hotel on this same island that allows dogs, and we brought Nancy. We went to McCall's but we couldn't go in and eat because of the dog, so my dad let Nancy out to do her business in the grass next to the building, and my mom walked through the drive through.......um, anyways, after McCall's we drove the rest of the way to the beach, listening to "Bridge to Terabithia" on CD (I'm actually liking it). We got to the beach, celebrated, unloaded, got very hot, adjusted the air conditioner and turned on all the fans, and put on some shorts. Eventful, huh?

I watched Marck and Robert tumble about in the ocean for a while, before we all came in, and I started reading "Twilight." For a while I refused to read them...but after going into Harry Potter deprivation this summer, I thought it might be good for my soul to find a replacement series. Anne of Green Gables is a good series, but it's not close genre-wise to Harry Potter. And after a lot of "You should SO TOTALLY read the Twilight books...they're friggen AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!", I decided to investigate, asking some real people what they thought. Okay, everybody is a real person, but seriously...I asked people who gave me real advice, if you understand what I mean. Most either gave me a description, but one just told me flat-out what I wanted to know, and that was about the core elements. I'm on chapter six and I'm liking it so far, but I think it's definitely a girl book. But I think I'm liking it a lot better than what I was originally planning to read at the beach, "The Truth About Forever" by Sarah Dessen.

So I woke up this morning, and I thought we were having pancakes, but then we weren't. So we "just ate cereal and stared out the window......." that's a rephrasing from "Jefferson Aeroplane" by Relient K, if you didn't know. I like that song, it makes me happy. After breakfast I made a to-do list. Do you know how awful it is to have to make a to-do list for the beach? It's terrible. And you know why it is? I have to incorporate writing my rough draft for Brit Lit...on Beowulf. Whoopie. Can't you just see the enthusiasm on my face and hear the elated-ness in my voice? If you can't...you're not deaf or blind...I wouldn't mind doing it half as much if I didn't have to do it instead of doing beach things.

After making my mild depression-and-anxiety-inducing list, we got on our suits and sunscreen and headed for the water, where we again tumbled about for a couple hours. Of course, we got hungry again, so we came in and ate...I searched Beowulf for descriptions of Grendel...and then we started watching "Charlie and Lola." We have...an odd fascination with the show. We're not sure if it's healthy. Last year we spent all our time watching "Shaun the Sheep." Ah...good times, good times.

I went to Best Buy Wednesday night (running into Elayna in the process...um, not literally), and got the other two Nickel Creek CDs, "This Side" and "Why Should the Fire Die?" I can't decide which one I like better, but my favorite from "This Side" is a song called, "Green and Gray." Immediately after that song is the album-title song that I really like too.

Well, that's what's been happening these days. I love the beach. But now I've got to go out to the pool and teach Robert breastroke so he can make swim team next week...wish me luck!

Until I hail again from the beach,
Jessica

4 comments:

Lizzie said...

Really, Jess, you should aspire a little higher. I am the queen of boring titles.

btw, this is the article that convinced me not to read Twilight. You may not want to read it since it spoils the plot, but I just thought I'd share it.
http://www.pluggedinonline.com
/read/read/a0004206.cfm

Sounds like you're having fun! Good luck teaching Robert breaststroke. I hope he makes the team!

N said...

Actually Lizzie, I think I probably deserve that title...which isn't necessarily a title you want to have! :D

What?! Shaun the sheep has his own show?!! Awesome!!!

*ahem*...anyway. But thank you, Jess, now I know what to get Colin for Christmas! I found it on deepdiscount.com for $15.11. And then I can watch it with Colin... :P

Well, that's not too bad...when I have access to cable and the Nickelodeon channel I like to watch "Drake and Josh" whenever it's on...now THAT is sad. :D

Ah, purses...they're as bad as shoes. Hard to find one that really works, but you have to have lots of them. ;) Is the brown one you mentioned the brown backpack sort of purse you had with you at the homeschool convention? That one looked nice.

Lizzie said...

I have to disagree, Natalie.. your titles are very interesting. :)

Jessica said...

Lizzie - Perhaps when I'm done with the first book, or maybe the series if I choose to read the rest, I'll read the article. It's not so much the spoilers I'm afraid of...I just don't want somebody to tell me whether to love or hate the books till I've decided what opinion I'm going to hold for myself. And so far I really like the first book. And...*chuckles nervously* I was actually poking a little fun at you when I said I was trying to come up with a more creative title......I mean, with the whole "name of our blog entries about the camping trips and 'I thought of this one so you can't have it'" silly little conversations... :P

Natalie - You're welcome...I love buying my siblings things they can share. It teaches them good moral principles. :D I like Drake and Josh. It's a lot better than a lot of the sitcoms on normal TV these days. As for the purse, no, I have three brown purses. I like brown. The backpack is in dire need of a leather sewing kit-thing, and my other new brown one...also needs some sewing, but it's a softer "leather", so I think if I ever went to Lizzie's again, I could repair it. But the brown one I'm referring to is a much darker brown...it's in the style of most of the purses a couple years ago, if you can picture what that was....

Blog Widget by LinkWithin