BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, February 13, 2009

Love, love, love, love, LOVE!!!!!!!

Stupid word.


Really?  I am in it for the chocolate. 

I don't mind Valentine's Day.  I'm no Scrooge like SOME people I know.  But Valentine's Day does get annoying, though I can't place my finger on what it is exactly.  When I was younger (from age twelve to age 15), I mourned the coming of Valentine's Day.  There I was again without somebody to love.  Silly little me.  At age 16, I thought it would be nice to get a rose.  I wasn't sure from whom, but I thought a rose was definitely in order for myself.  I had a dream around that time about a rose received from the man who was to become my husband (in my dream, though I never really saw his face of course), and I got upset that the petals started to dry up; I thought it meant that our love would dry up similarly.  But then the dried petals fell away and revealed a new rose, which was more vibrant, beautiful, and fragrant than the original.  And I guess that meant my Someone and I would live happily ever after, but I don't remember.  Anyways, at at 17 (which was last year), I can't remember.  I have no idea why I can remember something that happened to me two years ago, but not a year ago.  But it's like I've said before at some point...I got short term memory loss when I turned 17.  Hm...*checks blog entries around that time*  *sees some post about ruling over the Platinum lane*  *chuckles to self as she and Nathan were just trying to take over again*  *recalls that whenever there is something to be in charge of or taken over, she and Nathan are always either accomplices or enemies, but both at the top of the food chain, nonetheless*  *wonders at this*  *becomes silent and thoughtful for a moment*  *snaps out of it*

Well, it doesn't matter how I felt last year, I suppose, though I would really like to know, since right now it feels like I am squinting down a black hole of a memory trying to see what was going on, but failing miserably.  This year, however, I view things in a different way.  I guess.  I wouldn't know, but I'm sure I do.  *GASP*  I have GOT to call Elayna back!  *looks at clock*  It's always the wrong time to call her.  Either her family is doing school, I'm supposed to be doing school, I've got somewhere to go, she is eating dinner, I am making messy concoctions in the kitchen (you couldn't recognize the phone after my mom called when I was in the middle of making biscuits the other night).  If you are Elayna and you are reading this and I have not called you back by now, I am VERY sorry because I do keep meaning to.  But as I write this it is late at night and you all are probably going to bed.  

What was I saying?  Oh, yes.  Valentine's Day.

So.  Romance abounds, eh?  Yurp, sounds fun.  I have decided, however, that I do not want to go on a date for Valentine's Day unless:  

a)  It is for the purpose of proposing 
b)  We are already engaged
c)  We are already married

And since I have officially said that now, it would be recommended that whoever my Someone is NOT set Valentine's day to be the day of the proposal, because it would not be a surprise (which I would want it to be, despite not being overly fond of surprises), and also if we started courting....*cough* *sputter* *choke*....trouting in January or even December, it might be wise not to rush into engagement just because of the occasion of Valentine's Day.  And, as a matter-of-fact, I do not want to be proposed to on Valentine's Day.  I don't know why, but I just don't.  So maybe I shouldn't even consider number "a".  

Yes, I said number "a".  Don't panic.

Right now I just want to use Valentine's Day as an excuse to have a fun day to get together with girl friends and eat lots of junk food and watching romance movies, sappy or not.  My vote is for Pride and Prejudice, of course.  The new one...what a lovely movie!  It's just....perfect.  I love the scenery and the music more than anything else.  I wish I lived in England in the eighteenth century.  In the countryside.  And I wish I had a Mr. Darcy.  But that is fine.  

Valentine's Day is such a stupid concept, though.  What is the point?  For the record, every kiss does NOT begin with Kay!  If it did, Kay Jewellers would  have all the money in the world and would rule over all of us.  Would you like a jewellery store to rule over your lives?  I don't think so.  

And another thing......engagement rings.  I'm not staring at them night and day wondering which one will be on my finger.  I don't demand the biggest, most expensive one.  But I do want one.  It is only sensible.  As Elizabeth Elliot's father taught her brothers, a man should not say "I love you" till the engagement ring is on the woman's finger.  It's a symbol of a promise to marry, and I think that symbol is very important.  Again, I am not sure why, but that is what I think.  

Anyways, that's my take on Valentine's Day and the like for now.  

~Jessica    

6 comments:

N said...

Oh yeah, no proposing on Valentine's Day...to stereotypical. Too mushy, too...something. So yeah, no "number" a.

*sings* Every kiss begins with Kay! Urgh.

Wow, haven't ever thought about engagement rings much...except I hate big rocks (both for looks and inconvenience) and I don't like gold jewelry so I'll want a silver engagement ring and wedding band. I guess gold is supposed to be part of the symbolism of strength, but I'm not real big on symbolism.

BTW, on the last post was your closing salutation (wow, is that an oxymoron, or what? I can't think what the right word would be...not that one I know!) a reference to a U2 song?

Jonathan David Page said...

For me, St. V's day has mainly been a day off, like a bank holiday. I either read a nominally un-romantic book, or sit in front of my computer and code my fingers off. :D

When Enil has written his blog post about love, thereby clearing up exactly what it should be, a new code-word should be created, to allow reference to the concept without any of the implicative baggage.

Closing salutation... valediction?

Jessica said...

Natalie - That is interesting. I think I would still want a gold wedding ring, and therefore I guess my engagement ring should be gold so they match. But I do like silver engagement rings. And I would probably like one with the diamond more embedded into the band than sticking up, because every time I (try to) wear sticking-up rings, the part that sticks up gets caught on everything, mostly my hair when I put it up and take it down, which is several times a day. And yes, I was referencing a U2 song. ;)

Jos - Yes, yes, and yes. Every day I am feeling more and more in the mood for something non-romantic. Tomorrow I shall act! :D Also, yes, a new code-name should be created for love *cringes*. And valediction is the proper word....I was just trying to think of that the other day, and "closing salutation" was about as close as I got.

N said...

Oops...*too stereotypical, not "to". :/

Valediction! That's it!

And I love, er, (like? am quite fond of?) that song. :D

Janice said...

Well, I don't know about everything else, but I definitely don't want Kay Jewelers ruling the world. Almost as bad as Obama.

Anonymous said...

hey jessica~~!!! i finally got a blog... i'm not logged on right now but here's the url:

www.abby-theviolinist.blogspot.com

check it out!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin