BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, June 16, 2008

Oh, Marilla...!

What is on my mind...? It has to do with lonely and broken hearts and a deep feeling of dread which is even worse, and possibly the worse most sickening feeling on planet earth. So dread is more of the sort of thing where you're expecting something bad to happen. But it's all dread, really. That deep, sick, nauseous feeling churning about in your stomach when you discover, to your shock, that the person you had fallen for and gotten somewhat attached to and most likely had somehow been led to believe you seriously had a chance with was not just liking somebody else besides you (not as bad; that's not official), but actually going out with that person, in a serious relationship, and the person you fell for didn't even bother to tell you that small detail to prevent your fragile heart from shattering into a million pieces all over the street, some of it being ground into the pavement by cars zooming by, some falling down the drain into the rotten sewer, some of it kicked by pedestrians into the nearby grill where it is seared to perfection in the kitchen, and some of it just laying at your feet, unmoving, but hoping, praying you will pick up its remains and give it a reason to beat again. Sorry for that crazy analogy and very long sentence…heh heh.

I believe I have a very realistic fear of this happening again. It probably will. All I know is God WILL pick up all the remains of my heart, put them back together and give my heart a reason to beat again. But sometimes I have a very slow recovery rate. Maybe I'll just become immune to it. Like, I've been hit in the head with water polo balls, baseballs, basket balls, lamps, and canned food so many times, pain doesn't even pulsate through my brain anymore. So I will just have my heart broken so many times it won't hurt. I'll have a calloused heart.

But if I do, I don't believe I will be capable of loving either, and that would be very bad indeed.
I've underestimated…is that the right word?…underestimated guys before. I've thought surely they were not the "dating type", that maybe they did it the way our family does it. That in a year or two (but these things have happened a year or two ago), he would be then hanging out with me and my family a lot, and then would ask my dad if he could…you know, court me until marriage. He'd be like an older brother to me and my siblings, a friend to my dad and a chivalrous, sweet older son to my mom. In India both families are so involved in the relationship, in the wedding, everything. They even consider marriage a union of two families, not just a union of a man and a woman alone. Well, of course, they set it up. Marriages are arranged there, we all know that. But I think that's a wonderful notion, because from the very beginning, everyone is on the same exact page. I like that. Here in America, kids just want to do what they want to do, and there's conflict between the in-laws, and the kids move away and never see their parents…it's all about being independent here. But I love my family, I want to love my husband's family, and I want him to feel the same way. Now I sound all hippie-ish…"where's the love, man?" But seriously…

So I decided I am going to move to India with my family…okay, not really. Christians are kind of scarce there.

So I assume that these "potential boyfriend/fiance/husband" guys who I meet are like that (what, because they are homeschooled and/or Christians?), and I envision these things happening, and get to know the guy and he's nice. But then I find out one of two things: Either--he's interested, but only in me. Wants to spend time with me…alone. Wants to avoid my family as much as possible. Backs out on going to the movies, just because my mom or brother wants to come along. Eventually gives up and moves on with life without telling me. That's one scenario. The other is that as our friendship grows, it all starts to seem real promising…until I find out I didn't know him at all, and get the word from somebody else that he has a girlfriend, has had a girlfriend for a month or so, and maybe even has had multiple steamy relationships with other girls in the past.

The worst of all, though, is when I was originally right about the guy. He was like me. He was going to be that kind of person who came over to my house for dinner, talked with my dad about real estate and sudoku, helped my mom and me clean up the kitchen afterwards, and played a board game with my brothers and me into the night till he really needed to be going home, and I would go over to his house (on a different night, of course) and do the same thing (except he and his sister would drive me home, and he would walk me up to my porch and squeeze my hand goodnight). But as our friendship grows, something about him changes, and it has nothing to do with me. Pretty soon I probably find out from his sister that he's dating...like, "worldly" kind of dating, some other girl. Some other girl who wasn't brought up with any relational foundations his family and my family focused on, and he's basically compromising all he's ever been brought up to do to be in this exciting relationship with this exciting girl. That's where the deep, sickening feeling of despair comes into play in it's meanest and most heart wrenching form. It's betrayal, really.

That sort of dating seems attractive to me, too, you know. But I know that if I dread seeing it happen to any brother-like guy I know and love like that, then I know that any of those brother-like guys would be filled with that same sense of despair if I suddenly turned from everything I had been brought up to do to go out with some "exciting" guy. That's why I have to remind myself from time to time not to fall under the spell of that game. It's just not the way I will ultimately want things to turn out. And by participating in something like that now, I am just getting further away from any guys who are really worth it.

Now I am just sitting here sadly reflecting.

Well, I should go eat breakfast or something.

Love, peace, and joy…
--Jessica

13 comments:

Lizzie said...

You've described 2 (or is it 3?) scenarios that are very discouraging. I want to suggest that perhaps those are side affects of immature guys. Maybe the guys who do want a courtship are mature enough to realize that they aren't ready yet. You're still young, Jess. I know it doesn't seem like it; it seems like you've been waiting and hoping for that one guy to show up forever. I know, because I feel that way too. But you're not yet 18. Now is the time to wait on God, and to grow closer to Him. He is preparing you for the man He has for you, and when the time is right, He will bring him into your life.

Allie said...

I know I've struggled with similar issues. I mean, 100 years ago I would be married and on my own (ideally). But God will bring the perfect guy along in HIS timing. And if there's something wrong with him, such as one of those scenarios you described, then he's not the right guy. I'm gonna share this awesome quote with you. One of my guy friends and his best bud wrote this on their myspace, and now it's all over the web. (pretty cool, if you ask me)

“Girls are like apples...the best ones are at the top of the trees. The boys don't want to reach for the good ones because they are afraid of falling and getting hurt. Instead, they just get the rotten apples that are on the ground that aren't as good, but easy. So the apples at the top think there is something wrong with them, when, in reality, they are amazing. They just have to wait for the right boy to come along, the one who's brave enough to climb all the way to the top of the tree...”

So wait for the boy who's willing and brave enough to climb the distance. Don't lower yourself for any guy, ever. If they aren't willing to come get you, then they aren't the right guy.

Jessica said...

Wow, Allison...100 years ago, you wouldn't have even been born! Okay, enough of this foolish chatter...

Lizzie-I know I'm young. Maybe it came off like that in the blog, but I don't really expect something to happen now, exactly. Yeah, like Allison said, 100 or 150 years ago, we would have been married or nearly so by now. So it's not just a mentality, there really is that biological clock thing.

I know as I get older I will meet many MEN who are the top-of-the-tree-apple-pickers kind of guys. That's a really neat analogy, I like it a lot, and now I fully understand what my grandma means by "bad apples."

Thanks for the encouragement guys...I know I know about .000089% of all the eligible bachelors in the whole world, and I should just stop getting all depresssed. But it's a mood, you know?

Right now I just need to, like Lizzie said, focus on God and other things...like the Seahawks Orchestra!! I'm already working on a little humble piece which may or may not work... :)

Allie said...

Oh, a song?? What's it about? Can you post the lyrics when you're finished (and the chords if you have them for me)??? haha) ;)

Jessica said...

There...are...no...lyrics...at this moment, anyway. CHORDS?!?!?!? It's a little more random than that (being on the piano and all)...and, um, is complicated, and, um, I don't understand musical notation I TOLD you, so you are just going to listen to me play it, or I'll just teach it to you...

...You know, I just don't understand you sometimes...

Allie said...

Ok, fine. We'll have to get together soon so I can either watch you play it and figure out what chords you're playing or you can teach it to me and I can simply score it. What do you mean you don't understand ME??? YOU'RE the one who can't give me chords! ;)

Anonymous said...

Well, YOU are the one who can't just bloody LISTEN to something and then go play what you just heard, you know? Do you have trouble hearing or something? :P

Allie said...

*sigh* No, I have a hard time hearing the music and converting that over to chords. I think in specific chords and notes, not in "this note sounds like that note". Once I have the music, I can hear the pattern, but I can't sit down and pick it out. Sorry. ;)

Chris said...

Sorry to hear about this Jess! We all have those feelings sometimes that we just met the person of our dreams only to find out that you are not the person in their picture.

Sometimes its the person that is almost the complete opposite of you that may be the one that will get you. It happens to most people.

Just remember that you shouldn't stick to someone you can't reach.

Anonymous said...

Allison - That's okay, I was just picking on you, you know... ;) I still don't understand that, but I guess you're one of those really visual people, whereas I am auditory-kinesthetic (mostly auditory). Well, that's why there's more than one person in this world!

Chris - Thanks for the encouragement. I'm not sure how I could be attracted to someone the complete opposite of me, but I'm open to anything if it's for the best!

Chris said...

Well, opposites attract don't they?

:p

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's what "those people" aka "they" keep saying, but I'm not so sure. I've met people pretty opposite of me who I find very annoying. I guess I like people who like the same things I do (like music or classic literature or nature or something), but if they think differently or something, that's a different story. I wouldn't mind that, I guess.

Michelle said...

I'm cursious about that....what do you mean by "think differently"? Think differently about what, in particular?

btw, I thoroughly enjoyed the discussion with you and Mrs. Carol on wednesday....I'm looking forward to more of it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin