BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Morals and Ideals

DISCLAIMER – I know it’s not that late, but I am pretty much brain-dead. If nothing makes sense and/or I don’t stick to what the thesis probably should have been, that is why.

Everyone has their own personal morals that are based, more or less, on their personal worldview. Worldview, I am sure we all know, is developed by what a person is exposed to in life and how they react to it. The oh-so-valid source of Wikipedia states, “[Worldview] refers to the framework of ideas and beliefs through which an individual interprets the world and interacts with it,” and “describes a consistent (to a varying degree) and integral sense of existence and provides a framework for generating, sustaining, and applying knowledge.”

That said, it is to be expected that everyone’s morals are going to differ at least a little from everyone else’s. And, to an extent, I believe that each person’s morals are probably good for that person. I do not feel like that should include sexual immorality or homosexuality, but those are my morals, right? Here we go stepping into that multiple truths thing again, which needn’t be explained again or further.

But, now, I wonder...are some or all of my own morals actual morals, or are they ideals? Would some change depending on the situation?

I wrote an entry about a year and a half ago with similar questions in mind: http://jblog08.blogspot.com/2008/03/compromise-or-contingent.html. And here they pop up again, all out of the blue. I believe it is nice to know that I am not the only me who has struggled with it...I mean, I am glad to know I have struggled with it before. Now, that may sound a little strange, or perhaps even a lot. But the thing is, I had completely forgotten about having ever gone through this before. So to know that it is a weak area that I have worked through before gives me hope that it can be worked through again, hopefully more efficiently (so it does not happen again-again). Also, going back and reading that is already helping me dig deeper into this whole thing.

Like I was saying, morals or ideals?

Ideals are not set in stone, morals probably are. But what do I base morals off of? Ideals!

What morals and all other forms of conduct should be based off of is what the Holy Spirit tells you to do. We are not under the law anymore, so if you are a follower of Christ, you have received the gift of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit then tells us what is right and wrong for us, if we truly seek God, right? So...that is one of the reasons why I say that everyone’s morals are a little different. As far as Christians go, anyway.

But ideals are put in place by me, for myself. But, I have to wonder, are my ideals based on morals? As in, are they good ideals that should be upheld?

Take the concept of saving the first kiss for marriage. Nowhere in the Bible does it say, “thou shalt not kisseth thine wife before thou hast taken her as so.” Saving the kiss is a personal choice. Is it a biblical moral? No; it’s not based off of the Bible. Is it a personal moral? I guess that is what you would call it.

But is it an ideal; something possible only in certain situations?

I know some of you are saying yes, and some no. Maybe some of you are momentarily confused like me.

There comes at least one time in every person’s life where they must logically talk themselves out of something they desire greatly. I guess, anyway, what do I know? I’m not even 19 yet.

All I mean to say, in short, is that I am extremely disappointed in myself, because obviously I can talk the talk until I am told I might be required to walk the walk. And I am scared, frankly. I can justify myself with all of this ideals and morals business, but at the end of the day it all comes down to this: what is right and what I long for are two completely different things.

There are only two options – either justify what I long for as being right and just go ahead and do it, or long for something right instead. And you know the latter is what I should do. The decision is so hard; my heart feels ripped in two because of the opposing directions it wants to take.

I just feel so awful right now. Please forgive me for being so hard on myself at this moment, but I really must. All these years I’ve held these ideals and morals. I don’t care how pointless or illogical they are – they are mine and I’ve basically sworn to stand by them, not wishing to make any more mistakes than necessary, especially since I made so many early on. And now, here is God saying “Jessica, have a go at this situation...put your restraint to good practice. I know you can do this!” And here I am saying “Wow, God! This is amazing!! You mean I’m supposed to resist? That’s crazy talk, this is too good to be true!”

I know somewhere or another in the Bible it says that God will not let us be tempted beyond what we can bear. So I know I can get through this, I just know it, right? Yes, yes, yes. Will do, Cap’n. Aye, sir!

But it is and will continue to be so easy to give in. Just like it is so easy to jerk the steering wheel a bit to the left on a two-lane road into oncoming traffic. I could do it any time, on purpose, if I impulsively felt like it. And at any second, I could give in to an overwhelming temptation to forgo all my morals and head straight into something else.

I know that if I uphold my morals AND my moralistic ideals, God will bless me in one way or another. I’m not looking for God’s blessing, though; I just know that it will happen. If I don’t uphold my honor...I know the consequences, suffice to say. I often want to ignore the consequences, but I can’t for very long. Especially if they start happening to me.

However, I would like to end on a happy note, so I will make some general comments about life these days other than trying to think straight:

I was recently accepted to a novel writing camp/retreat/intensive thing! I will be leaving all ye North Carolinians behind and going to Oregon for a month to sit in a beach cottage and write a book. It will be in November, so “beach cottage” does not necessarily mean “lovely warm days strolling the beach and feeling the wind in my hair.” It is very unfortunate. However, it’s still the beach...“so much scope for the imagination.” So, yes, I will come back with pages and pages of unrefined bookness and hopefully only a mild case of carpel tunnel syndrome. Wish me luck (and pray for me not to miss my planes!!!!!!!)

My swim team went undefeated its second summer in a row! Counting our last four meets that we won 3 summers ago, we are now 16-0. I didn’t think it could get any better than one undefeated season. And it was my last year on the team, too! I don’t like getting old. But at least it was a good season to get old. :)

I read The Phantom of the Opera! Now, that isn’t exactly wowie-zowie news, but I am really excited because it is now my new favorite book. I don’t have favorite books that often...those kinds of books I have to love aaaaaaaalllllllllll the way through and must crave to read them morning to night and while I am asleep...and I must hate when the end comes much too soon. This book met all the criteria of a favorite book. And now I really, REALLY want to go live out my Phantom of the Opera fantasies even more than I already did ever since I saw it for the first time when I was 12. You all know I’ve always wanted to live in Raleigh Memorial Auditorium....

That said, I am going to bed! Goodnight!

~Jessica

2 comments:

John said...

I can see your struggle, and I've been, before, right where you are at now, when I was in exactly the same place in life you are facing. That is a confusing sentence, is it not?

I give a lot of unsolicited advice, so feel free to ignore it, but your confusion re morality v. idealism reminds me of my time struggling with the issue. I will tell you what I believe, and you can see if it helps you. If you disagree, that is fine - I am not trying to convert anyone, but this might help you in your own quest for truth, which is a noble and important quest for any Christian. In fact, I believe that, when we are truly saved, the Holy Spirit gives us an urge to begin the quest and seek the truth, so your curiosity is a very, very healthy thing.

First, you are right that Christ fulfilled the law on the cross, but he did not abolish it. Remember, though, he did not die to change it (Matt 5:17-18 will state this almost verbatim). Certain parts of the law, like sacrifice and dietary requirements, were a part of the old covenant (or testatment) purposed for dealing with/atoning for man's unpaid sin debt. However, such practices and rituals were insufficient to cover our sins, because there was nothing pure enough to sacrifice, no ritual that could cleanse us enough, so the blood of Jesus, a purely innocent man, was required.

Now, the requirements of the old covenant (testament_ relating to atonement for sin stand fulfilled by Christ, on behalf of anyone willing to accept his sacrifice.

However, the new covenant continues parts of the old law concerning how we are to live and conduct ourselves. For instance, the Ten Commandments are still in force today for Christians, and most believers accept this, but Christ has paid the penalty for our violations thereof. Still with me? Now precisely what parts of the old law are renewed under the new covenant (testament) is the subject of much debate. CONTINUED BELOW.

John said...

CONTINUED FROM ABOVE. I find it sufficient to accept that the veil of the temple is torn, I am able now to pray directly to God through Jesus, and when in doubt, it is best to err on the side of following the moral requirements of the old law - not b/c I am threatened with hell for breaking them, but because I want to please the Lord. I eat pork, because I believe the dietary restrictions of the old law were specifically applied to the Jews and b/c Christ said all food can be eaten if blessed. However, I still believe I am to avoid false Gods. Christ himself renewed several commands expressly (e.g. love the Lord your God), and I am happy to set them out in more detail if you like, but you get the idea.

Now - there is your question re whether the Holy Spirit convicts different people to different standards. Many people will tell you this is not the case, but I agree that some orders are given to do more (never less) than is required under the new covenant. For instance, did you ever read about John the Baptist's diet? Whatever your views on alcohol, John was expressly forbidden from partaking of it (Luke 1:15). Personally, I believe this was a special rule for John, distinct from others, setting him apart. He also ate locusts, which I am not about to do absent a command from God or risk of starvation. Also, Jonah was ordered specifically to go to Nineveh, so only Jonah sinned by refusing to go to Nineveh (or we would all be there now).

At any rate, the trick is that people in the Bible had it on clear authority when they were given a special, extra-legal command from the Lord. He never left anyone guessing, and when Gideon wasn't sure, the Lord even let Gideon test Him (remember the mat and the dew?).

If the Lord has specially commanded you to refrain from kissing, for instance, then I don't think you would have any doubt about it. If there is no special command, then it still remains your choice. The Bible does not command you to kiss boys or to refrain from kissing them (at least not in any translation I have read). It does order you off fornication and perverse conduct, though, and those areas of the law are binding, though Christ fulfilled the law. You aren't going to Hell for violating it, but sins do have Earthly consequences, and engaging in sin will grieve both the Lord and your own soul.

Hope that helps!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin